Tuesday 5 August 2014

Lest we forget...

Last night it was 100 years since the start of World War 1.

In remembrance, The British Legion asked people to switch off their lights, leaving only a candle burning between the hours of 10pm and 11pm.

Then, at 11pm, the time when war was declared, the candles were blown out...

“The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime.”
 Sir Edward Grey

I am so glad that I showed my respect in this way. It was a strangely peaceful evening with just a candle for light.

But when you thought of what people were going through 100 years ago, it was so very sad. As I took my candle through to my bedroom and tucked myself into bed, I realised I was lucky that when I woke up in the morning things would be the same. 100 years ago, life was never going to be the same ever again.

 

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments.

10